It’s not often I can say that I got my jam together and rocked an actual Halloween costume, let alone one that involved crafting and artistry. First the Royals in the World Series now this—2014 is a wild ride, y’all!
There’s another name you might know me by… Star-Lord.
Star-Lord, man! Legendary outlaw?!
So the clothes were easy enough; I used boots, moto pants and a shirt I already had. Picked up the satchel bag for pretty cheap at T.J. Maxx, and the jacket came from Wilson Leather (faux under $60).
Had to scavenge my parents’ house for the portable cassette player. It’s not a genuine Sony Walkman like in the movie, but it was close enough for my purposes and the price was definitely right. Unfortunately, I couldn’t locate any vintage headphones so I decided to paint the black ear pads on a newer pair (and by “newer” I mean from the ’90s). Seemed easy enough and I needed to visit the craft supply store anyway.
Friends, I was wrong about painting the headphone cushions. Very, very wrong. As it turns out, orange spray paint and headphone cushions simply don’t mix. Spraying enough to convey the right color yields a thick, messy layer that will inevitably crack and look awful.
My other craft products were more successful. Using a soldering iron, I carved/melted indentations on a styrofoam ball to resemble the infinity-stone orb. The process smelled all kinds of awful but it was a lot of fun. An all-over coat of black spray paint laid the foundation—and dissolved some of the styrofoam. I followed that with random layers of ‘hammered steel’ pewter spray paint, more black, and some handpainted metallic silver acrylic highlights. Not an exact science by any means, but it ended well.
The black and pewter spray paint also saw a good deal of action on my quad-blaster, which began its life as the standard Nerf model found at Target for about $20. I started by disassembling the top and bottom orange pieces (simply held together by screws). Black base coat, pewter spray, silver acrylic accents applied and layered until it looked sufficiently worn and voila! blaster complete. As I was working with limited time and shortsightedness I failed to consider which ‘underneath’ parts were visible in the final product. Consequently, I’ll eventually need to go back and touch up a bit.
I’m quite happy with the way things turned out, especially since it only took a few hours!