Pet Peeves: Successfully Managing Your Dog’s Housing Interview
My good friend S (the non-World half of Writer vs the World) is concurrently searching for a new home and considering puppy adoption. Recently she found an apartment complex of interest and shared the link so I could weigh in.
Yeah, that’s right, people value my opinion…or maybe she was just showing me because it was a slow day at work…we’ll claim the former.
As I nosed around the site, I discovered that the pet policy requires a “pet interview.”
My snarky-sense began to tingle as I wondered what kinds of questions they intended to pose to the pet. Soon, our conversation evolved into a doggone good script of prompts suitable for use with canine candidates.
As a public service, we’ve decided to share our contrivances so that you (yes, YOU!) can better prepare your dog for interviews with prospective landlords. You’re welcome.
- Tell me about a time when you thought you could make it outside but misjudged, inadvertently soiling in the house. Was there punishment? If so, how did you handle it?
- Do you find yourself chewing on things when you get bored? What kinds of things?
- Let me create a scenario for you, there’s a thunderstorm and it’s late at night. You hear a large crash of thunder. How do you react?
- What is your response when greeting a visitor? Are you more apt to stay calm, pee out of excitement or become aggressive?
- If you had your choice between a squeaky bone and a real bone, which would you pick and why?
- Tell me about a time when you were reprimanded for doing something that you thought was a good idea at the time.
- What is your stance (philosophical, not physical) on leg-humping?
- You may be asked to collaborate with cats from time to time. How would you handle that?
- When presented with another member of your species, how do you respond?
- Are you willing to delay cleaning personal areas until guests have left the premises?
- There’s an enticing bit of leftover food in the garbage can—tell me how you would resist the temptation.
- About how much of your day is spent chasing squirrels? Would you consider yourself an expert or just a recreational enthusiast?
- Would you say you’re easily distracted? <throws ball as candidate responds>
- When taking walks, do you assume an active leadership position or look to a more dominant leader? Why?
- What is your preferred mode of transportation? Would you be opposed to being carried in a handbag or pushed in a stroller?
- When presented with piddle pads or diapers, how do you respond?
- What does the word leash mean to you? What feelings does it evoke?
- How do you feel about bathing? For or against?
- If you could be a human, who would you be and why?
To see Writer’s take on this topic (and the more rapid-fire version of our banter), check out her post here.